Consumer Engagement for Scotch Whisky Distillery
An internationally recognized spirits distillery wanted to increase their brand recognition with a targeted campaign featuring NFC and cloud software.
A major distillery of Scotch Whisky was interested in creating an interactive campaign for their flagship product to increase brand awareness and drive engagement in a younger generation. As they evaluated potential solutions their primary concerns were ease of deployment, engagement impact and using a sophisticated backend software platform to gain insight into consumer behavior.
The brand evaluated QR codes and NFC and decided to go with an NFC in conjunction with a robust back-end software platform. To increase speed to market, the brand decided to replace a neck booklet that they hung on every bottle with a hanging collar with an NFC tag in it that would make deployment very straightforward. The marketing team was enthusiastic about changing a static booklet with an interactive engagement experience.
Results for the program:
- NFC generated an engagement rate of 6.5% among consumers which outperformed campaigns that they had done in search and social media which never exceeded engagement in the 2.4-2.7% range.
- The campaign achieved a virality rate of 35% which meant that each tag that had engagement was tapped by 1.35 unique users.
- The campaign generated tapping across 13 countries.
- The back end software program associated with the NFC tags gave enhanced visibility into the supply chain and made coordinating marketing content across geographies easier.
The success of the program with the neck tags was so successful that the brand was planning to add NFC tags behind the label with upcoming bottling runs.
- Finding a fast path to market can generate excitement and hasten the brand’s smart packaging learning curve.
- With real time visibility into customer interactions, additional data from the distributors and supply chain can be used to evaluate and improve the process.
- Smart solutions can provide better opportunities than existing strategies as in this case where the NFC hang tag replaced an information booklet that they had been including for years.